As you already know in June 2011 Google launched their new social network project called 'Google Plus'. Which is by far the best attempt to create a really interactive community site that can actually have the potential to compete against the social media giants like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
Their first try was Orkut, which is still pretty much alive, who knows till when, but they new added features looks like they try to keep the site running for their current member which by surprise is in the millions... Well, Orkut didn't turn into the next big thing in the web 2.0 world for many reasons, and it got behind on the race, which till now Facebook is the one holding the first place.
Here are some facts you should know about Google+ current evolution:
1. The site was launched back in June 28th this year, which was an invite only launch, like many other projects from the big 'G'. Here is a quick tutorial on how to send G+ invitations.
2. Rapidly after this super launch, on June 29th China afraid of the potential of this network they Blocked the site by a huge firewall system.
3. On the 30th of the same month all invitations were closed because the insane demand of this invites when mainstream.
4. The first top 5 followers on the network were:
- Mark Zuckerberg with 335,123.
- Larry Page with 193,014.
- Sergey Bin with 135,571.
- Pete Cashmore (Mashable) with 101,166.
- Vic Gundotra with 88,177.
5. In July 9th Google+ exceeds the 5 million users mark and it's +1 button outrank Twitter's share button.
6. In July 11th the site gets blocked again, this time my Iran.
7. In July 12th the site gets an average visit time of 4.52 minutes.
8. By July 14th the website pass the 10 million users.
9. And one day later the site exceeds the 15 million users mark.
10. July 16th is a very important day, because on this day the network becomes the 42nd most visited social networking site in the U.S., and 638th in the world.
11. In July 19th the site average visit time is 5.50 minutes, also the Google+ iPhone app was launched. That same day they site had 19.93 million users active accounts.
12. The big 'G' start providing verified accounts to celebrities, also its app goes to the top of the app store, and the site now had 20 million users making it the faster growing social media site in history.
Is easy to see why many entrepreneurs and marketers are jumping into the Google Plus wagon, because a site that grows that fast must have an awesome potential under all that buzz. Anyways you don't wanna be the last one to start building a following in a social website that can turn a big or bigger than Facebook, don't you?...
Like I always recommend to all my readers is to stay to what the social web is all about, being part and building a community, not selling.
To your success,
Internet Marketing Specialist.